Saturday, June 16, 2007

National Spotlight

That’s my fiancé Stephanie in front of Memorial Stadium after the Spring Game this year in April. I’m working on the conversion as we speak.

For the first time in a long time, the Huskers will be on National TV for their first three games of the year. My only conclusion is that Nebraska isn’t playing any I-AA (or is it I-A now?) teams to pad their record at the beginning of the season (I’m still looking at you, Kansas State). Athletic Director Steve Pederson, Head Coach Bill Callahan and the entire athletic department have been doing a good job of going out and getting quality non-conference opponents for the coming years. UCLA, Tennessee and Washington, to name a few, are all BCS schools and will make for an interesting measuring stick each year for the Huskers.

Back to the games this season, two of which will be televised by ABC in weeks one and three against Nevada and USC respectively. The second game on ESPN will be on the road in the second half of the home/away match-up with the reigning ACC Champion Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Nevada isn’t exactly a national power house, however they aren’t exactly Nichols State either. The Wolf Pack finished fourth in the WAC with an overall record of 8-5 (5-3 in conference) and nearly upset the University of Miami (FL) in the MPC Computers Bowl but ended up losing 21-20. However, playing in Boise, Idaho in December is a far cry from playing the home opener in Lincoln, Nebraska. I’d talk about Wake Forrest and USC, but after last year we all know about those two teams. I’ll break them down as the season approaches.

I’m excited I’ll be able to watch the Huskers three times in a row from the comfort of my living room and not have to stake out a seat in one of the few Nebraska friendly sports bars in Kansas City. Believe me, there aren’t as many as you would think since geographically Lincoln is only 70 miles more than the drive to Columbia, Missouri, home of the Missouri Tigers. Being a Husker fan in Sioux Falls, South Dakota is a cake walk. Being a fan in Kansas City is a different story being trapped in the middle of the Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri triangle. I’m marrying into a Missouri family also, so it makes family get togethers all the more interesting. Recently, I even had a future uncle-in-law say “aren’t they all kind of faggy up there?” I was not only slightly confused, but I had to remind him again which team has been dominating the old Big 8 schools for decades. That usually quiets the conversation quickly, and the fact that the Huskers beat the Tigers last year to clinch the Big XII North crown.

All in-law opposition aside, I’m optimistic about the new season and am excited to see if certain players can come back from injury (Zack Bowman) and general poor decision making (Maurice Purify), and if Arizona State transfer Sam Keller can keep his head on straight in time to make the season a good one. I’d like to see Nebraska compete for the Big XII title again, but will they have what it takes to actually beat the representative from the South?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look! there I am!