Thursday, December 20, 2007

Papajohns.com Bowl

This games sponsor makes me hungry this close to lunchtime. It's my favorite national pizza chain actually. Their garlic sauce turned me from a person who would throw away the crust to someone who looks forward to the garlic drenched goodness of the butt end of a slice.

The first Saturday in the 2007 bowl smack down will pit the Southern Miss (7-5) Golden Eagles against the Bearcats of Cincinnati (9-3). The Eagles are fresh off firing long-time coach Jeff Bower who won 119 wins in 17 seasons. He would have coached Brett Favre when he was there, but the Packer star quarterback hasn't played college ball since Wrangler Jeans were cool.

Cincinnati, on the other hand, still has their coach Brian Kelly. I remember Kelly mostly from his days as head coach of Division II powerhouse Grand Valley State, a rival of my Northwest Missouri State Bearcats. Get it, both teams have...the Bearcat...as their...anyway. Kelly is putting together a good, solid program at Cincinnati and received a lot of attention from various universities shopping for coaches.

The Bearcats of Cincinnati are a damn tough team. They have held their last 11 opponents under 100 yards rushing, and considering the talent level in the Big East as far as running backs go, this stat cannot be overlooked in this game. I'm looking for the Cats to win decidedly against the Eagles in a game where I would like to be enjoying a hot, fresh, Papa John's pizza as I watch.

Pick: Cincinnati 37 - Southern Miss 10

No comments: