Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Prayer for the Faithful

Dear Nebraska Cornhusker fan,

I feel your pain. How can I possibly understand you ask? This season is almost too much to bear. Well, it's because I am also aflicted in the year 2007 with being a fellow Husker fan. Still hopelessly on the bandwagon, even though it was never really a choice in my family. Believe me, I tried to defect. However, I'm digressing already. Let's focus.


We talk our team up out of spring and fall camp and speak about our rise to glory, our resurgence and even how this will be the year that we truly “Restore the Order.” Then the season starts. Where is the running game? What's with all this passing? How come our defense couldn't stop a leaky kitchen faucet? Where in Congress is Tom Osborne? I want my conference titles! I want my national title hopes back!


Sadly, the former sentiments are dashed and latter statements echo throughout Husker Nation by the strengthening hand of uprising teams in the Big 12 North. Who could have imagined just ten years ago losing to teams like Kansas and Missouri? Who would have thought we'd have to focus on just making it out of the conference? We once had loftier goals, like only paying attention to who'd we'd be playing for the National Championship. The aforementioned in our backyard are teams that only play basketball, right? Our sport is the manliest of manly sports, football, and it belongs to us. The lesser schools of the conference formally known as the Big 8 dare not infringe upon our God-given rights as Cornhusker fans. Who would allow such an atrocity?


Do not fret fellow fanatic, because some positive events have transpired since earlier this decade. First, you've stopped taking things for granted. You probably even hug your wife a little tighter before going to work and may slip in an extra 'I love you' while she stays at home ironing your Dockers for the weekend. You may even give your boyfriend an extra kiss goodbye, because the last few seasons have taught you that nothing lasts forever.


You have learned to look to the future and be hopeful. You don't necessarily dwell on events that turn out poorly in the present because hey, there's always next month's sales goal to reach. Don't worry about this go 'round because you'll get it the next time around tiger.


Maybe you have learned that chores on Saturday are important. When Nebraska loses I usually take my aggression out on my apartment by means of cleaning it. Let me tell you, after last night's loss I would be confident enough to eat ice cream off of my toilet bowl.


You've also learned the value of a buck and maybe have even become frugal. I know you want to believe that you'll be booking your flights and hotel rooms to such far off destinations like Miami or Tempe, just like you did in the late 80's and through the 90's. It's always nice to escape the cold Nebraska winters through Epply Airfield. Hold on to your Discover Cards and American Express, because our comeuppance has only began.


Prepare to keep sharpening those good Midwestern Christian values of patience and understanding. They will come in handy in the next few years while Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan try to figure out another way to eek out another Big 12 North title, only to flame out in the postseason. So keep hoping and praying Husker faithful, maybe even tip your priest or minister a few more bucks at the collection place on Sundays, because this team is going to need some divine intervention to be successful this season and maybe the next few seasons.


Warmly,


ZSS

No comments: