Sunday, October 21, 2007

Shit Hits the Fan


Yeah, this is supposed to be mildly family friendly because my family reads this site, so I sort of apologize for the headline. Then again, I don't think any of the Husker faithful in my brood would really split hairs with me on the profanity, not now.

Nebraska hasn't faced losses like this since 2004, Bill Callahan's first year. But even with that horrible season supposedly in the rear view mirror, not even that team underachieved as much as this year's. Not since World War II had the Huskers surrendered 40+ points in three consecutive games. My Grandparents were kids when that happened. They are now in their 70's.

So, if you read the previous story pulled from ESPN, you are now up to date. Pederson is out, Osborne is back in. I gave Callahan the benefit of the doubt, because the Huskers did need to move away from what made the Huskers great all the way up until 2001. Defenses were too fast, to complex to just overpower and overmatch anymore. But flipping things like they have been done on and off the field have done irreversible damage to the program.

Does digging up Osborne change anything? What can he possibly do? I'm sure he'll start by making people feel less alienated from their state's pride and joy. That story had it pegged, and I've even noticed it. It just doesn't feel the same going to Lincoln during the Pederson/Callahan era.

Now, the obvious. I've always played this close to the best because I want to be confident in my team. It's the only way I've known how to be since I was a kid. It's now time to admit what I've been harboring. Look at what happened to Callahan in Oakland after Jon Gruden left. Mutiny. It may not be happening in the same way, but I'm starting to really believe overtly that Callahan is a cancer on this team.

Can the Huskers go back to the days of yore? Doubt it. Can Osborne restore, well, anything? So many questions, too early to tell. All I know is that I feel really, really good about Pederson being fired. Consider some personnel moves that he made. Firing Frank Solich after going 9-3 in 2003. Solich has turned an Ohio University team that was the laughing stock of Division I-A Football. Guess what? He took them to a bowl game and a winning record last season. I was always uneasy on the inside about firing Solich. He was the reason Osborne retired early. He promised Solich the keys to the car and after only losing two games in four years and three National Titles, other schools came knocking for him. Osborne left, because he's old school and loyal. Charming and cheesy, but still very respectable. They forced Charlie McBride out the door who made the damn Blackshirts the most feared defense in the 90's. And what left me scratching my head the most was letting Bo Pelini go. He only went on to Oklahoma and now LSU and created two of the most fearsome defenses in the past five years. I thought he did a hell of a job in the Alamo Bowl back in the '03 season against Michigan State. I guess Husker Nation and Pederson still had their heads in the clouds.

The ESPN article mentioned the program being in a glass house, inaccessible. I see the Husker fan base, media, alumni, boosters and current regime in a state of denial. I listen to the radio broadcasts and no one is critical. I knew these people were insane when I listened to the Iowa State game. The final straw came when former player (under Bob Devaney) Adrian Fiala said he was proud of the "Blackshirts" by creating a couple of turnovers and eeking out a win that was closer than the final score indicated. They gave up over 400 yards. They were on the field for over 100 plays. This is not acceptable. No one, fan, broadcaster or otherwise should have had an ounce of pride after that game.

Just like now. The days of Osborne and the Big 8 are gone. Tell those stories to your kids at bedtime, because that's all they are good for now. The reality is that it's going to be bumpy, really bumpy. Remember all those times the Huskers beat the likes of Kansas, Missouri and even Kansas State by 30 or more points?? Trust me, they remember even more. The coaches may be different, but they know. Get ready for some abuse.

Of course I'm being more bleak than I should be for a reason, but then again who could imagine just even five years ago getting blown out at home to Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, or anyone for that matter? Certainly not I.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Your headline says it all! Don't think that Osborne can do much...but it's nice as a fan to have some of what was tradition, back. Do you think that this is Callahan's last year? I love the ending paragraph that mentions Charlie McBride taking over...maybe the shirts' color would turn back to black! Usually can't wait to go to a game @ Memorial Stadium on a Saturday in November ...but not quite sure what it will be like.