Friday, November 30, 2007

Bringin' It Into the Weekend

As we move forward into what I hope will be the most exciting Saturday of college football this season, here are some things to look for in regard to the Nebraska coaching job and what I’ll be watching on the tube this weekend.

First things first, we’ve been over this to death this week so I’m not going to bore you with retread thoughts. Reportedly, Nebraska interim athletic director/coach Tom Osborne said he hoped that a new coach would be revealed by this weekend. That means today is the day, but go back and read that last sentence. He hoped a new coach would be named, doesn’t mean that a new coach would be named by the weekend.

From what I’ve read and heard this is how I see things breaking down.

Frontrunner: Bo Pelini – he’s undefeated as a Nebraska head coach, and he’s got a better winning percentage than Tom Osborne. Alright, alright, I know it’s just one game that he’s won, but he was a part of the old regime, as brief as it was. He’s got more big time, big program experience and he’ll supply a lot of intensity and hopefully can get the Huskers to play up to their abilities. Remember, he’s sort of a hothead and his defense down in Baton Rouge is underachieving. He’s never been a head coach really, either.

Down But Not Out: Turner Gill – he turned around a horrible program in Buffalo and has years upon years of experience and know how under the tutelage of one Tom Osborne. Gill has been a head coach, he knows what it’s like to run a full season or two as the guy. But he hasn’t had the big time spotlight type of coaching experience. Maybe that’s for the best, maybe he won’t think like a head coach would and he won’t over think everything like Callahan. You have to outplay to win in college, not out plan.

The Brian Thorson Situation - I have to make this bold and attach it to Gill for this reason. He's a Buffalo offensive line commit from Omaha (Millard North, specifically) and Osborne visited him yesterday about coming to Nebraska. Why the sudden interest? Why would Osborne go after a two star recruit going to Gill's current school next fall? Especially with four and five star targets starting to waiver in their support for going to Nebraska?

My gut is really telling me that Gill will be the next coach, even though my brain is going with Pelini. Could he be a focus because Gill is coming back to Lincoln? Is he just a package deal to grab the real prize in Sean Fisher, a three star linebacker and teammate/friend from Millard North? I'm guessing they are using Osborne in the small window they have him on the recruiting trail in this way. Simply said, having a state icon in your living room should be enough to secure every player from Omaha to Scottsbluff.

Dark horse: Jim Grobe – Jim who? Come on, you should know this man’s name. He coaches Wake Forrest. We played and defeated the Demon Deacons earlier this season, remember that? Doesn’t it seem about three seasons ago? He almost seems like the perfect fit on the surface, but many fans will say, well, “Jim who?”

I think all three of these guys would be a solid choice. Grobe could be unbelievable with Nebraska money, facilities and mystique. But you know as well as I do it’s going to come down to Gill and Pelini. Just remember, the outcry is for Bo, and if he fails by Nebraska standards Husker fans will only have to look to themselves and the legacy of Tom Osborne. Time to wait and see now. My vote is on the side of Gill for now. When do tickets for the spring game go on sale??

What To Watch

12:00PM ESPN – Boston College vs. Virginia Tech

A little bit of revenge, perhaps? Boston College and senior quarterback Matt Ryan slapped the Hokie faithful in the face when BC came from behind after being flat out dominated by the Tech defense for 58 minutes in Blacksburg in October. Should be a great game to kick the day off right.

Pick: Virginia Tech 20-16

3:30PM ABC – USC vs. UCLA

Another game that has a team bent on avenging a loss. This one comes via last year’s upset in the Rose Bowl (not the official Rose Bowl mind you) when the Bruins derailed the Trojan’s national title hopes by defeating them 13-9. USC is the hottest team in the country next to Missouri. USC is -20 according to Vegas and I’m picking the Trojan’s to cover at home in the Coliseum.

Pick: USC 45-21

7:00PM ABC – Oklahoma vs. Missouri

Watching this game is a no-brainer. Especially since my wife and friends that are coming over are Mizzou fans. Would it be wrong to cheer for the Sooners? Yes, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be wearing black and gold tomorrow night. I’ll probably defiantly be wearing a Nebraska shirt, just like I did last week when the Tigers played Kansas. It’s hard to bet for or against either team. OU took the regular season game, but Missouri was in it until some dumb turnovers occurred in the last quarter of the game, giving it to the Sooners 41-31. Will Pinkel pull some more boneheaded moves and will the Tigers be tamed? I want to see an MU versus West Virginia national title game, I think I’d boycott if Mizzou lost and it was Ohio State versus West Virginia, blah.

Pick: Missouri 28-24

10:30PM ESPN 2 - Hawaii vs.Washington

Playing in the "If I Can Stay Up Late Enough Bowl." I watched the Warriors beat the Broncos of Boise State last Saturday night and they looked pretty damn impressive doing so. The Huskies completely dismantled the Broncos earlier in the year, so I'm not sure how to call this one. Just know there could be a lot of points. But hold on. You know what else looked good in that game last week? Hawaii's defense. That's right, their defense. Expect Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl against LSU if both teams win tomorrow.

Pick: Hawaii 35-28

I may flip back and forth between USC/UCLA and Tennessee/LSU if either or both games get out of hand. Keep your radar up to see if Pitt can upset West Virginia in the Backyard Brawl. Hey, stranger things have happened this season.

Who’s The Heisman?

If I had a vote, it would be Tim Tebow. I don’t care if he’s a sophomore or if his team is 9-3 and not playing for a conference championship. Brad Smith was not the best player in college football last year, but Ohio State was undefeated and played for a national title and was supposed to win. Tebow is simply a cut above every other player in the pool of Heisman hopefuls. He’s second in the country as far as pass efficiency, and he’s the only player to pass and rush for 20 touchdowns and that’s against teams in the best conference in the country. You don’t have to say much else. If I had to pick a top three, this is how it would look.

  1. Tim Tebow – Florida
  2. Darren McFadden – Arkansas
  3. Chase Daniel – Missouri

Too bad McFadden didn’t play for a better team, because if he played for a team that didn’t lose five games this year he’d probably be the guy. Sorry to Mizzou fans and Chase Daniel, I know he’s been unstoppable and I’ve seen him make some ridiculous plays, I just think Tebow is better.

Anyway, championship week last year for me was a dud. I went to Arrowhead and froze by butt off while watching the Huskers lose to Oklahoma. Too bad we didn't have this weather last year. I hope this "Championship Saturday" lives up to the hype. Sunday I get to watch the Chiefs suck it up against the Chargers this weekend when my wife's parents come over for it, so I'm going to need a good last full slate of college football games tomorrow.

No comments: