Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Weekend In Review (Late Edition)

Ok, so I’m a little late to the party, but this week was back to class and some other busy work around my house. Better late than never, right?

Our boys looked pretty darn good on Saturday in Ames against Iowa State. Aside from the one big play which was pretty basic and we just forgot to tackle, it was a great day for the defense. In fact, had that play not occurred we would have held the Cyclones to under 200 yards of total offense. Regardless, the Blackshirts held the Clones and Texas Tech (last weekend) to their lowest total offense per game of the season.

Nebraska also cut down on the penalties that have been driving everyone nuts this year to four. It looks like the team is moving in a good direction and with five conference games left, now would be a good time to improve week to week so we can finish the season between six and eight wins.

Going into the game with Baylor this weekend I wouldn’t take it being Baylor for granted. I really believe we will win, and this game will fly under the radar considering the other games in the Big XII, but ONLY if Nebraska wins. If Baylor gets their first road win in the Big XII, stuff will hit the fan.

On my picks from the weekend, let’s get the bad news out of the way first. I completely whiffed on Ohio State and Michigan State. Ohio State is doing something I’ve been having nightmares about the past few weeks, and that’s beating (sometimes pounding) Big 10 foes. If they beat Penn State this weekend (if there is a God, let the Nittany Lions win) in Columbus they will be in the hunt for yet another crack at the BCS Title. Ugh. But I guess this is what the rest of the country felt like when the Huskers would choke year after year playing Miami or Florida State for the title.

On to the good news, I picked a perfect weekend in the Big XII and hit my other non-conference game between Georgia and Vanderbilt. For the year the record now moves to 12-4 overall and 10-2 in conference. Go me.

Looking ahead before I make my official Friday picks, this is how I see it this weekend.

#8 Texas Tech at #23 Kansas – The Jayhawks will finally expose Texas Tech’s poor defense. KU wins.

#4 Oklahoma at Kansas State – Easy pick here, OU big on the road.

#6 Oklahoma State at #1 Texas – If the Horns win, it will be (basically) three top 10 teams in three weeks. I’m going to wait on this one.

Colorado at #15 Missouri – Homecoming in Columbia, night game at The Zou and two stinging and embarrassing losses? I like the Tigers big against a team with a quarter back controversy.

Texas A&M at Iowa State – Wow, could there be a worse game than this one? Iowa State at home.

Baylor at Nebraska – Of course you’ll have to wait for this one, but I think you know what I’m thinking.

This weekend I’ll miss my second Husker game (missed New Mexico State) of the year and will not make it up to Lincoln. Saturday night I’m going to pretend like I’m 14 again and see Metallica in Kansas City. Now, I’m off to buy some black Lee jeans and white Reebok high tops.

No comments: