Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend In Review

So I was wrong. It happens a lot. What I saw yesterday against Texas Tech was a surprise to say the least. Sometimes a team's best defense is it's offense, and that statement rang true yesterday down in Lubbock.

The constant penalties are still irritating as hell to see. Although I will say that some of the officiating was enough to make me pull out what little hair I have left. Some of the calls on us and non-calls on the Red Raiders was nuts. Despite the poor discipline and being unable to stop the big play, the Huskers took it to overtime and played a pretty decent game.

The big stat in our favor was the time of possession which was about two-thirds in our favor. Also, we racked up about 50 more total yards on the day with 472 I think. Marlon Lucky looked good, as did our receivers who are mostly possession guys who don't get a whole lot of yards after catch.

Three big things heading into next week in Ames, Iowa, a place where we've played like crap or sub par the last few times.
  1. Penalties. We look very sloppy and confused a lot of the time. Suh is good for one personal foul per game the last few weeks. This obviously has to stop. I like his intensity, and he had a hell of a stop on third down in the fourth quarter yesterday, but Carl needs to get through to this kid that his actions the last three games are unacceptable. I can take a guy getting a personal foul every so often, but three weeks in a row? That shows me something is going on there that isn't either being addressed, or absorbed by the player.
  2. Emotion. We've had to "get up" emotionally three weeks in a row against a team that would be in the top 10 had it not lost it's first game to Eastern Carolina, and two top ten teams when we played them. This has happened only one other time in Husker history. I'm wondering when we drop a bit as far as motivation. Is it this weekend against the Cyclones or when we return home against Baylor? Tough to stay high for that long.
  3. What to do about Joe Ganz? I know most of you want to rally behind the kid, and I do too. He's a good, solid QB and has done very well considering the extenuating circumstances. That being said, I'm getting a little leery of him holding on to the ball and trying to force plays to develop. There are times to unload and take a few yards rather than looking for a big play, and tossing it out of bounds when you're about to take a sack. I'm not saying we bench him, because if you are saying that you have to ask who starts in his place. Patrick Witt? Zac Lee?
Well, I sure didn't pick 'em that well this weekend, against any sort of points spread anyway. Straight up wins and losses I went 5-3, with my losses being LSU, Oklahoma and Missouri. Picking against OU and the Tigers of Missouri didn't enter into my mind, but LSU did. Should have went with my gut. Oh well, live and learn.

Here is what the Big XII looks like for next week and my early bird picks...

#7 Texas Tech at Texas A&M: Tech, duh. At this point A&M is clearly the worst team in the Big XII.

#16 Kansas at #4 Oklahoma: Too bad this game didn't happen last year, then I could have been saved from the dumb KU fans in the area sqwaking about their team. OU big in this one. The Sooners still have a good shot at winning the South (explaination below) and the national title.

Baylor at #8 Oklahoma State: Baylor with the upset? Doubtful.

Kansas State at Colorado: The only reason the Wildcats looked good this past Saturday was because they played the Aggies. The Buffs will pick up their first conference win this weekend.

#11 Missouri at #1 Texas: Is there anything better than watching Jeremy Maclin cry? I know I sound like a brat after Mizzou torched us last week, but it was still good to see. The only thing better would have been finding a picture of Chase Daniel with is mohawk and dirty upper lip.

So, how will the Horns respond after their big win over rival Oklahoma? Will the Tigers be able to rebound against a better opponent they lost to in Austin? Sorry Tigers, this will be your second straight loss. Texas' schedule is absolutely brutal the rest of the way. Check this out. #8 OSU at home, at #7 Texas Tech, Baylor (don't laugh, possible trap), and then at #16 Kansas. They'll wrap up against rival Texas A&M who they haven't beat since Vince Young was in the gun either. That's four opponents in the top 16 in five weeks. Yikes.

Nebraska at Iowa State: The Clones nearly took out the Jayhawks at home but lost a lot of fire in the emotional loss, and it showed yesterday losing 38-10 to Baylor in Waco. Total homer pick here, but I'm going with the good guys in this one.

No comments: